Thursday, May 29, 2008

poetry for the not so poetry inclined.




I admit it, I used to REALLY. HATE. poetry. If someone wanted me to know something, why didn't they just write it in a normal f-ing sentence, rather than breaking the words up across an entire page and using metaphors that were way too complex.

And then I realized I was just reading the wrong kind of poetry.

Turns out Romantic era poetry is not my cup of tea.

Without further ado, I present to you a poem by Sandra Cisneros. Her book, My Wicked Wicked Ways (not to be confused with Errol Flynn's autobiography of the same name) is her first collection of short-ish poems published in '87. I love all of them (the poems) in their own way, but this one, my friends, is one of my favorites.


***Unfortunately Mariela was removed. See this post.***

1 comment:

Cayce Smith said...

This one has a beautiful feeling. It has exudes a sense of timelessness: "how the clouds moved on", as they always have, for thousand of years. The blackbird is juxtaposed against a vastness much greater than itself, and yet, the weight of "his bitter smell" is perhaps as heavy as the sense of eternity given by the organic landscape. The bird seems to escape this weight, despite its tiny stature against the gaping sky.